Saturday, October 9, 2010

DO DOONI CHAAR :-)

I am a Delhite, and I live in Bombay. To some, it is a sign of progress ; to the rest, a definite path to self destruction. I am glad I spent my formative years in Delhi, Badarpur to be precise. The archaic-almost cruel- neighborhood taught me the real definition of being alive including the most intricate details that are often ignored over the mere essential ones. Good is good and Bad is bad, came naturally to me. What it actually taught me- There ain't no good and THAT is not bad. I am a Delhite, and I am proud of it.

Do Dooni Chaar- a surprisingly sweet film about a lower middle class family(much like mine..) in the neglected by lanes of East Delhi, was as much a nostalgic orgasm for me as it was a reminder that the choices I made in life, are not so bad after all. The film borrows vignettes from a very real middle class Indian life and forms a delight of a screenplay. The almost cynical attention to details, especially in the Art Direction and Characterization, puts forth a mirror image of a distant past from your life onto the screen and you are left with an ear-to-ear smile throughout! The film follows no strict rule or formula if not for the preachy climax, but beautifully manages to recognize the pulchritude of a city, its people and their lives. Its definitely not an "Oye Lucky Lucky Oye" but every moment replete with sincerity and matured thought, makes the film very reminiscent of Hrishikesh Mukherjee style of Film Making.

First timer Habib Faisal, a Delhite himself, brings to the theaters(Sadly to very few, though...) a heart warming simple story in the wake of the shame that the Common Wealth Games have brought to Delhi and almost makes you say- its not so bad after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just love the review. You have totally baffled me. The creative style of writing - so urban and so smooth it almost gives you the feeling of melting chocolate in your mouth. What Im trying to say is that the review is so vibrant it will convince you to go and see the movie..Brilliant !!